Okay, so I may be a little partial, but these cookies came from my grandma’s kitchen, who I believe got them from her mom and so on. They only use 5 ingredients and are absolutely amazing!
Note: the ratio of butter to dry ingredients is crucial to having them turn out right. Make sure the butter is room temperature before starting, and measure accurately.
1 Cup butter (room temperature – 2 sticks)
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 tsp Almond Extract
2 1/4 Cup Flour
Approximately 20 – 30 Maraschino Cherries (halved)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar.
- Add almond extract to the creamed butter and sugar, and blend.
- Add half of the flour to the mixture and blend.
- Add in remaining flour and finish mixing. Now, you have completed the dough.
- Measure about a tablespoon of dough and roll into a ball.
- Place ball on ungreased cookie sheet about 1 inch apart. (We love using these cookie sheets Airbake Cookie Sheets)
- Use your thumb to lightly press an indent into the center of each ball.
- Place cherry into center of each cookie.
- Bake cookies for about 7-10 minutes. You want the edges starting to turn a light golden color. The tops of the cookies will still look light.
- Enjoy your cookies!
Check out my next post on how to make these simple, yet nice looking chocolate pretzel buttons!